Friday, April 9, 2010

M-O-M-M-Y needs C-O-F-F-E-E *

Every now and then we get on this sleep thing...three days this week Matt has forgotten to set the alarm clock, and three days this week Charlotte has woken up in the wee hours of the morning and stayed awake for over an hour (almost two, usually).  It's a horrible combination.  That means that today I was up from about 3:45 to 5:30, with just a few minutes of dozing in there. And then woke up late and groggy when Matt realized that he just had time to shower and run.

I'm not so much bothered, developmentally speaking, by Charlotte waking up and staying up.  There's a couple reasons for it - she wakes up and remembers something exciting to do, or she wakes up and can't find Tigger, or she wakes up and her diaper is too full of pee for her to comfortably go back to sleep.  It's hard for her to fall back asleep once she wakes up, for whatever reason, and who can't relate to that?  Or she wakes up and is too overtired to fall back asleep, which, for her, is a big issue no matter what time it is.  It's hard for her to fall asleep at bedtime if she's overtired and she practically never naps unless she is belted into the car seat.

I understand all of this, and it doesn't bother me, per se, but god, I gotta tell you, this lack of sleep is killing me.  I was brushing my teeth this morning and berating myself for not losing weight, when I really started to think about it.  I already have very little time during the day.  I go to bed, say, 12:30 am after working until midnight, then get up about 7:30 am.  If I spend 2 of those 7 hours falling asleep, helping Charlotte fall asleep, making sure she isn't trashing her room, laying awake listening to the baby monitor trying to decide whether or not she's going to fall asleep/break something/work herself into a frenzy....well, I think I can be a little nicer to myself for not waking up at 6 am to work out.  I'll figure out something, but this is just hard right now.  As is obvious by this rambling, disjointed blog post.  Whoops.

...and then Charlotte crawls into my lap this morning and says, "I'm your best buddy, Mom!  I love you, Mom!"  It's like she's got a sixth sense about these things.


* Ralph's World song

No comments:

Post a Comment