Thursday, May 22, 2008

I miss my baby and I haven't even had a cup of coffee yet.

Firstly, I haven't updated in a long time because so much is going on that I don't have the heart to explain it all. Starting Tuesday, I was back at work at the same place that laid me off. After about 2 weeks they realized that they really had too much work to have laid off all those people, but they wanted to wait and make sure that they would have more work, not less, by the summer. Once they got a few more contracts, they hired me back. I worked in the office Tuesday and Wednesday and today, and then starting tomorrow, it's back to working from home. So that's a big relief.

Epic fail on coffee this morning.

I didn't have time to make coffee or tea at home this morning, so I was jonesing pretty bad by the time I got to work. I put a little coffee creamer in my mug (thanks to Nate for sharing) and then poured in the coffee. The creamer turned instantly to ricotta cheese. Major curdling. I thought that was weird, because the creamer had seemed okay yesterday, but maybe I just hadn't noticed because it was in an opaque travel mug. I dumped the coffee, rinsed my translucent travel mug a few times with very hot water for good measure, and poured a mug of black coffee.

I got back to my desk and took a tiny sip, since it had been steaming hot - oh my god, it was AWFUL. Mouth-puckeringly, eye-wateringly awful.

I guess last night a few people decided to clean the coffee maker by running some vinegar through it. This is an excellent idea, it was long overdue. However, I didn't know that, and I didn't know how many (or few!) times it was rinsed out. I hadn't really smelled a difference because of two things: 1) the coffee maker is right over the dishwasher, and in my family we run vinegar through the dishwasher to combat hardwater, and I always associate dishwashers with a faint vinegar smell and 2) my head is terribly stuffy due to allergies, and everything smells kind of weird and faint.

Blech. Talk about a wake-up call.

This past weekend we visited the in-laws, and they had brought down a little tiny rocking horse from the attic. It says "Matthew" on the side, and is perfect Charlotte size! She loved it, and we got some really sweet pictures.

This weekend is Charlotte's christening. There is so much drama surrounding this event that I can't even begin to post about it. Perhaps later, when time has taken the edge off of the emotional baggage. On Sunday Charlotte will be christened at the church Matt and I were married at, and we'll have a cook-out at my sister's house for all the family that travelled out to be there. I am very much looking forward to seeing my grandparents and my nephew, so that is exciting.

1 comment: