Monday, August 2, 2010

Party Central

This weekend we had two major birthday parties to attend - my nephew Gavin turned 1 (!!!) and we went to the birthday party of the aforementioned neighbor boys, who turned 2.  I was a little nervous about the twins' birthday party, for many reasons - I am shy around strangers sometimes, Charlotte is shy around strangers sometimes, most of our other birthday parties have been for family, I was a little unsure of twin gift ettiquette.  (We ended up getting them 2 birthday cards at my extreme insistence....I was very happy about that.)  The plus side to the twin birthday party was that it was literally right in our backyard, so if it got too overwhelming (for anyone) we could just go home, 1 or 2 or all of us.  We ended up having a great time, and stayed 'til the bitter end.  Bitter for Charlotte, that is.  She had such a good time that she cried when we left, and this morning, she wanted to go back outside to the party first thing.  She was temporarily bummed that it wasn't there, but I think also a little bit relieved and ready for some quiet play in her room.

One of the funniest things is that we met another Charlotte at the party.  (reminded me of Oz & Axel meeting the Other Axel a few weeks ago!)  Our Charlotte had a brief encounter with  a much older Charlotte before, but it didn't even register to our little girl.  Last night I talked with the other Charlotte's mother about the whole Charlotte thing.  "Does she have a nickname?" asked the other mom, with a kind of wince face...I could tell she knew what I was going to say.

"We ended up calling her Char, which wasn't the plan beforehand," I replied.  She sighed.

"Yeah, us too."

It was funny, because I could just tell that she was like Matt....not thrilled with the idea of Char as a nickname ahead of time...and he's still not sold on it, except that it really suits her.  And Char-Char (Shar-Shar phonetically, I guess, but that just looks weird) when she was littler.  I had always pushed for Charlie, but it just doesn't flow naturally with the "Sh" in Charlotte.  We do call her "Sharlie" to tease her sometimes, but she always says, "Nooooo!"

The other thing I mentioned to Charlotte's mom was how Charlotte is kind of confused about the fact that her name starts with the letter C, but not the letter C sound.  And it's not even a CH sound, like chair or chocolate, so it's an exception of an exception.  Eventually it will make sense to her, but for right now, it's a little confusing, and totally something I didn't even anticipate.

So, like I said, great parties, and fun with other kids.  I'll add pictures later.

No comments:

Post a Comment