Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I really hope this is a fluke...

Charlotte does this thing where she sleeps great for a month, or maybe 6 weeks, and then she spends a week or two waking up at in the middle of the night or at 5 am, and taking forever to go back to sleep.  I'm grateful that she sleeps so well at night the majority of the time, but her disrupted nights are always timed REALLY badly.

Last night Charlotte woke up at 4:45...or at least, that's when I heard her.  I went in and put her in a dry pull-up, got her a sip of water, and rubbed her back for a few minutes.  At that point, it was pretty clear to me that she was bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, and totally perky for waking up 3 hours early.  I went back to bed in the faint hope that she'd fall asleep easier if I wasn't there to talk to.  HA!

She finally got up at 7:30 this morning, but the time between 4:45 and 7:30 was the same as it usually is - Charlotte was in bed and talking, and I was dozing in my bed and going in there every so often to ask her to PLEASE stop kicking the wall/bouncing on the bed/laughing so loud.  On the one hand, it is awesome that she can amuse herself so thoroughly using just her imagination and her stuffed animals.  On the other hand, OMG, she needs to sleep.  Plus, *I* need to sleep, and I always have these weird dreams when I'm dozing that feel like I've been asleep for hours, when really it's just been 10 minutes.  I think Charlotte finally conked out from 6 to 7, but was up and chattering again by 7:15.  I went to bed late last night, and I think that I really did only get 4 hours of uninterrupted sleep last night, with another 2 1/2 hours of heavily interrupted sleep.

Is it any wonder I measure my coffee consumption in pots, not cups, these days?

2 comments:

  1. I'm afraid to tell you this, but my boss' 8 year old son still gets up at 5 or 6 am on a regular basis. Sometimes earlier. Fortunately for them, he usually just quietly grabs his Legos and plays until everyone else wakes up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I know...I wouldn't mind if she was up that early if it was preceded by more hours of sleep. That's my thing. An almost 3 yr old really needs more than 8 hours of sleep a day...and I need her to be asleep more than 8 hours a day!! I keep trying to tell her that even some 5 year olds nap, so if she wanted to keep napping, that would be fine. She pretty much quit napping regularly 6 months ago, and it's been a struggle.

    ReplyDelete