Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Waiting for the other shoe....

I haven't really posted about the whole preschool transition thing for two reasons:  as usual, I am totally swamped with work & life AND it has gone so smoothly that I'm waiting for it to suddenly be more like I expected.  (I am furiously knocking on wood, throwing salt over my shoulder and biting my tongue as I type this, by the way.)

The first drop-off, I kind of hovered for 5 minutes, but Charlotte was totally nonchalant.  When I kissed her and said that I was going she was like, "Uh-huh," and kept investigating the kitchen/real life play area.  Whatever that's called.  I explained to her that I'd be back soon, and that her little pony was in her backpack if she needed something from home to cuddle.  "Bye, Mom," she said.

It's been like that every day.  She's not into transitions, which took me by surprise, but shouldn't have.  I'm the same way.  I lament and worry and freak-out into the lead up to a big change.  (And so did Charlotte.)  And then when the time comes, rip off that damn band-aid!  So while I was sort of surprised that Charlotte was shoving me out the door, I probably shouldn't have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment