Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Play me that monkey music...


I'm trying to find good music for Charlotte. I want to expose her to grown-up music, but I also want her to have some good silly & fun kid's music. Right now I basically have two kid's CDs - They Might be Giants "No!" and The Limelighters "Through Children's Eyes." We got them for a shower present because I had registered for them on our Amazon Wishlist. I wanted the Limelighters' album because I loved it when I was a kid, and my mom loved it when she was a kid. I also know all the words to all the songs, so I can just put it on and sing along whenever I need a brainless option. I wanted "No!" because I love TMBG and I had been hearing good things about their kid's albums for some time now. I wanted that one in particular because it has "The Edison Museum" on it, and I remember when that Kai was a little younger it was one of his favorites.

There are a few other things that I really want, and plan on acquiring slowly. Raffi really is a classic, and while some people find him annoying, I really love his songs. Kids like his songs, it's pretty undisputable. I also love Sarah Pirtle. We listened to a lot of her albums at the Hampshire College Children's Center when I worked in the toddler room.

One of my best finds lately has been the podcast Spare the Rock, Spoil the Child. I found it on iTunes when I was pretty disappointed by the children's podcasts. I was totally surprised at first to realize that they are local, but then, when I thought about it, not really at all. That's just the kind of place the valley is. Now I have a whole bunch of artists I want to check out.

My next music goal - make a mix CD entirely full of monkey songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment